Grace & Katie have created a solution to their problem of how to return to work in rural Northumberland.
Grace has sewing experience spanning 25 years but no electricity whilst Katie has electricity, 10 years project management experience and a desire to create anything out of fabric!
They have pooled resources and skills to start up a business – Dizzy Birds.
Grace’s ‘eureka’ moment saw the creation of a new wing of the business resulting in The Spiral Project.
Dizzy Birds provide a broad service including:
- Bespoke handmade patchwork quilts, hangings and throws in silk, velvet and cotton
- Soft Furnishings & Accessories – bags, purses, scarves and mobiles
- Costumes & Clothing – one-off, original items
- Upholstery & Recovering – previous projects include sofas, chairs, speedboats, pubs, caravans and lambretta seats
- Repairs & Alterations – all the usual, plus farmwear and gear, horse rugs and loose covers for sofas and armchairs
- Courses, Workshops & Projects for schools and community groups supporting events, fairs and festivals, as well as initiatives within organisations such as The Forestry Commission and Northumberland National Park
- Sewing kits – complete with detailed instructions
- Stalls at craft fairs